Saturday, April 17, 2010

I Need to Get Out More

One of the cool things about blogging is you get to meet some really interesting people. Today I visited with the other bloggers at a Chicago Moms Blog event. You know what I realized? I need to get out more. I don't mean the kind of get out of the house activities like grocery shopping or visiting the library. I'm pretty good at those. I mean the kind of getting out of the house just to see what's new in the world.


At the event tonight, I spoke to interesting women from the Avon Foundation. They have a new program called Army of Women. They are trying to bring together one million women to volunteer for breast cancer-related research projects. Some are easy; others are more complicated. I signed up to volunteer as soon as I came home. You know I will do anything I can to prevent the girls from facing down this disease. If my time can help future generations, let's do it.

There is a movie called Babies coming out on Mother's Day. It looks at the first year of life for babies in four very different parts of the world. There's a part of me that thinks the movie DVD would be a good gift for anyone with baby lust. You can enjoy watching the babies without having to change diapers.

I talked to the Peapod team, who had a very interesting registered dietician named Lara Field at their table. She and I chatted for a bit about the girls vegetarian eating habits. While they do eat a bit more meat here and there, I still wanted to check in with her about the best ways to get protein and iron into their diets. I like that Peapod offers more organic choices these days.

The eBay team now has a classified advertising site. For all the time I spend on the eBay site, I didn't know this. I looked at the site and it seems like eBay's version of Craig's List. We're talking about getting an L-shaped couch in the family room, so I need to sell our current couch. I think this will be a good test drive of the new site. After all, our friends and family are probably a bit tired of me trying to get stuff out of our house and into theirs. I'd say once or twice a month I'm trying to give away some stuff. In this case, we have an expensive dark blue, Lane micro-fiber, double-recliner sofa that needs to go. If I can sell it for a few dollars, I'd be a happy girl.

The team from 1-800 Baskets laughed when I told them that I order a lot of stuff from their site because they partner with uPromise. I think they thought I was kidding at first, but I was not. We use every opportunity to order from uPromise partners because every penny we can save towards the girls' college education counts. Plus, we've had good luck with their products. Why not stick with a good thing?

These were all interesting conversations and I learned a lot from each person. The most interesting thing I learned will come tomorrow. I know, you cannot wait...

No comments:

Post a Comment